Friday, April 04, 2008

A-Rod not worth it...

I might get shot for saying this since I do live in NYC and I do attend Yankees games, but this is not a new rant for me. I already think professional athletes are paid way more than they deserve and way more than they are worth, but this is just the latest kicker. It came out the other day that A-Rod, the Yankees prized player, has a contract worth $28 million dollars making him the highest paid major league baseball player. And just to show you how ludicrous his salary is, he makes more than the entire Florida Marlins team put together, whose whole roster salary only comes out to $21 million.

Besides the fact that I don't think any professional athlete is worth more than a whole team, it makes me mad because I don't think A-Rod is consistent enough to warrant such a salary. I would say that if I am paying someone that much they should be hitting the ball every time they are up to bat and getting runs in every game. I propose for A-Rod that every time he strikes out he has to pay back the team. For every strike out he should pony up $5000. Maybe he would be a more consistent player.

I was at the game last night and saw him up to bat twice... and he failed to impress me, which is why I am writing this today. In all the Yankees games I have seen, I think there has only been one where he actually performed as well as everyone says he does. Granted, I do not follow the Yankees and I don't go to that many games, but I would expect someone of that supposed caliber to perform better on a more consistent basis. Start ponying up the cash, A-Rod.

No comments: