Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Domestic Goddess or just insane

I just finished canning 16 quart jars of tomatoes. Last week I made 13 jars of raspberry freezer jam. I also made 3 loaves of bread this morning and granola to last us another month. In this world of convenience, canning is not necessarily economical when you factor in the time sacrifice and cost of supplies, etc. But it sure does taste better when it hasn't been in a can on a grocery store shelf. Not to mention that I am still getting only 5 hours of sleep a night, and this little boy could decide to come any day now. Maybe that's the reason behind the mad rush...

PS... canning in NYC... not exactly easy. However, I discovered that Zabar's carries Mason jars of all sizes at a reasonable price although not as reasonable as buying a case at Stop 'n Shop in NJ. It's nice to know I don't have to scour the city's hardware stores for overly priced Mason jars. Thank you, Zabar's.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Most domestic goddesses are a little insane, I think!