Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Ghetto Golf Charter

On Sunday evening, Cameron and I headed up to Tuckahoe... Cam's old stomping grounds... to have dinner with his cousin Fred and family as well as Ian, Allison, Chas and the twins. It was one of those things that suddenly reminded me of how different our families are, but how much I love and embrace the Kelly enthusiasm for all things fun and out of the ordinary. We were sitting around the table discussing the ghetto golf from the Fourth as well as the round that took place on the 5th that nearly stripped Allison of her title and crown less than 24 hours after obtaining it. There was a bit of a discrepancy as to what to do in the event of a tie. There was a suggestion of a sudden death round, but that is difficult when the last hole usually takes your ball. This led to another 2 hours of writing up a Ghetto Golf Charter complete with rules and regulations. The Founding Fathers (Fred, Cam and Ben) signed it and then the rest of us Charter Members also signed it.

As we got in the car, I said, "I can't believe we just spent the last 2 hours writing up that charter. That would never have happened in my family." That's not to say my family isn't fun... it just means that we would probably be playing Uno, roasting marshmallows or watching old family home movies (Walborn tradition) or making bread (watching my brother make bread), talking politics or debating about education (Purdy/Burkhardt habit). I love the Kelly family creativity and their uncanny ability to turn something silly and seemingly ordinary into an official tradition. I also love the closeness of the cousins since I don't really have that. I am not really that close with any of my cousins with the exception of Niven, who has been on and off in Iraq the past couple of years. This is one of the perks of marriage... expanding your family and embracing that which seems so out of your element. I am so blessed and lucky to be a part of three of the coolest families on the planet!

No comments: