Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Turning 30 never felt so good

All I can say is that I have the best husband, family and friends in the whole world and I couldn't have asked for a better birthday. First of all, it must be said that my mom has been with me on all but 3 of my birthdays, so it's no surprise she would be here for my 30th birthday. We spent Friday, which happened to be the first day of spring, wandering around town and we stumbled upon daffodils that had blossomed. In addition I must mention that when I went running yesterday, the tulip trees behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art have started to blossom as well. Yay!!! We also had a lovely time at the Smylie's Friday night singing Easter songs with friends and enjoying each other's company.

And then the joyous day of my birth.... I got to sleep in and go running. I came home and Cameron made crepes that we filled with strawberries, bananas, chocolate and Rebecca's awesome cream from the cream puffs. It was the perfect birthday breakfast. We then went to the Ziegfeld Theater to see Back to the Future... fun. We enjoyed a lazy late afternoon dinner at Candle Cafe, a vegetarian restaurant on the east side that had amazing guacamole. We then strolled across the park stopping at the pond and on Bow Bridge (our bridge) for a little reminiscing. We continued on our way to Levain Bakery to pick up some yummy cookies for dessert and some spring tulips at the corner deli to brighten the house. I came home to a surprise birthday party... a room full of all my favorite people who came out to celebrate with me. I was overwhelmed, and everyone had brought chocolate chip cookies for me :) I now have a freezer full, which I can pull out and pop in my toaster over anytime I please. As if that were not enough to make any girl die with contenment and happiness, my sweet husband and family pooled their resources and bought me a new digital SLR camera. I don't have any pictures of that or of the party yet, but I will post them when I do... still reading the novel of a user's manual. I am truly blessed and could not have planned a better birthday myself.

And then it was Easter... full of joy and happiness.


And my sister Mallory got engaged... JOY!


My mom goes home today... I'm a little sad and feeling sensitive. It's so nice to have a mom around, and I am always sad to see her go. It's been so fun having her here.

15 comments:

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

I feel your pain with missing your mom. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday and we're glad we could help you celebrate. Looking forward to seeing some new pics from the aweseme camera!

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

I'm glad you had a nice 30th birthday. I loved the cookie idea...so fun. It's nice your mom was there to spend it with you too. I think our Mom's should always share our birthday's because they're the ones who got us here. :)

Tamara said...

yeah for birthdays and chocolate chip cookies. I was so honored to be there to celebrate you turning 30.

Kristyn said...

Happy Belated Birthday Nik -- I'm so happy you had such a great one!! Of course I thought of you on your day (and every day after thinking how I needed to send you a note), but this is the first I've made it to the computer AND had more than 2 minutes to get everything done before the girls need something (these little girls are wearing me down). I still believe in the birthday MONTH -- so lets keep enjoying it!! =)

Tiffany said...

Happy belated birthday!! I'm so glad it was a good one for you! So Mallory is engaged? Thats awesome. If you have any details will you send them my way? Thanks ahead of time. You look amazing b the way!! I still want to see the stomach :) Anyway I'm glad to hear all is well!
Tiff

Nikki said...

Happy late Birthday...How fun that your mom was there. I love it when my mom comes to visit! I am dreading turning 30, but it sounds like you survived and it even turned out pretty good. I always love looking at your blog..you have the best pictures. I feel like I visit New York every time :)

Rebecca Smylie said...

You do have a good life, Nikki.

Doug and Dawn said...

Happy belated Birthday Nikki. It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration with some great people. I am glad your mom was there to spend time with you. I miss having family close.

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Nikki :)
I'm glad you had such a perfect time. (you look great)

Marci + Dan said...

Happy birthday!

Nicole Cave said...

Can you say spoiled!? J/K Everyone really does love you!! Happy Birthday!

Sarah L. said...

Happy Birthday. I wish I could have been there to celebrate with you. Being 30 is great. Enjoy

Sechrist Family said...

Hey Nikki, I saw your celebration on my cousin Tamara's blog! Happy Birthday!!!

Ashlee said...

Nikki, I like to check up on you and your life every once in a while. Your blog makes my happy because you and your cute hubby look so in love!! Happy birthday!