Monday, October 29, 2007

Finally Fall

Friday night marked the annual Procession of the Ghouls at the cathedral of St. John the Divine on 110 and Amsterdam. This is a fun Halloween tradition where they play an old black and white silent film with the cathedral organ doing the score. Very fun. Then they have a procession of ghouls... people from the neighborhood or members of the local congregation who dress up in these elaborate costumes. It's not gruesome but kind of spooky. This year the movie was the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, an old German film. Luckily, I had my own personal film guru as my date (Cameron), so he was telling me why this was such an interesting film. The unique factor of the evening was the presence of actor Ryan Gosling, who was sitting 2 rows behind us. It was ironic considering I had seen his latest movie "Lars and the Real Girl" only 2 days before. Despite what some might think, I did not go up to him and tell him how great I thought his movie was or take his picture. Why? Because I don't know him, and he's just a normal guy going to a show like the rest of us. I probably wouldn't have seen him if a friend had not pointed him out. To kick off the festivities, our friends Marci and Daniel had a little Halloween party at their casa. There was pumpkin carving, mask making and candy eating - all the essentials of a good Halloween fiesta.

For the past 2 months I have been planning an apple picking excursion for this past Saturday. Every Saturday this fall so far has been beautiful, sunny and warm, but the one Saturday I choose for apple picking it rained and rained and rained some more. I was sorely disappointed. We were in New Jersey at Liza and Jan's house hanging out with them and Cameron's dad, who was in town over the weekend. Every 30 minutes I would ask if it was still raining. But we did enjoy a lovely English breakfast of scones with clotted cream and homemade jam. Around 4pm the rain stopped and sun came out, so I gathered up the family for apple picking. It turned out to be perfect because no one was there and there were tons of apples for picking. I went crazy!
We wrapped it up with some homemade donuts and apple cider.

And I am happy.

3 comments:

Kristyn said...

It looks like you guys had a great time -- isn't fall wonderful!?!?! By the way, I LOVE your boots!!

Mumsy said...

How fun!!! We we could have been there with you guys. Maybe next year?

kimberly said...

Oh my stinkin cuteness! Seriously, can you guys get any more adorable? I love the boots! I am so happy that you guys found each other. Really, you're so fun and romantic its almost sickening.