Tuesday, October 09, 2007

City by Night

Last night we went on the Harbor Cruise around the island with Jan, Liza, Millie, Ian and Allison for family night. The harbor cruise is an activity usually reserved for tourists or young single adult activities, but it was actually rather pleasant seeing the city I love from the river. Since the sun set while we were gone, we had an array of views of the city and Lady Liberty. And the tour guide was kind enough to provide a few morsels of history along with all the celebrity and 9-11 facts.
Just yesterday I finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which was an enchanting tale. It seemed fitting to take in this great city from a distance, to put myself in Francie's shoes almost a century ago. Being out there with family, standing next to the man I fell in love with here and seeing the city all lit up and beautiful on an unseasonably warm October evening was a moment I would like to relive every day of my life. And I fell in love with NYC all over again.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Nikki,
Your life seems so magical living in NYC. I enjoy seeing and hearing about your adventures.

Marci + Dan said...

Which co. did you cruise on? My cousin and her hubby are coming to town next weekend and want to go on a cruise...

nikki said...

We took the circleline cruise. It's 2 hours and leaves at 6pm. I think it is a good one for out of towners because the guides always point out buildings and areas of town and throw in random facts.

Rachel said...

I have that book but for some reason haven't ever gotten around to reading it and now I want to..and will!! God bless America, NY and cruise lines at dusk.

Doug and Dawn said...

Great pictures. I too agree that your life seems so magical up there in NY. The city looks so beautiful. I have to be thankful that I am in Charleston at this time because it too has some beautiful scenery. We have to go over a bridge every morning to take Doug to school and we get this beautiful view of the city and it never gets old.

Mical said...

Ryan is so jealous you live there! He would probably live at Yankee Stadium if he could. Awesome pictures!

Nicole Cave said...

I read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" last year. I thought it was so sad. The writer was excellent in giving such detail to every page though.